Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Anahita

Partly I just liked the name, and there are a limited number of nice goddess names out there, but I also found Anahita appealing for several other reasons. An ancient Persian goddess, she is associated with water, love, fertility, protecting women, and the dove and the peacock. Some say she is a precursor to Aphrodite or Venus. I'm a great fan of peacocks and am working a lot lately with the concept of abundance and empowering women financially, so it seemed like a good fit.

I chose the moon because it is such an essential aspect of goddess spirituality. I've felt so drawn to Artemis in the past, particularly her tradition in Ephesus in modern day Turkey. She is commonly considered the precursor to the Virgin Mary who is rumored to have lived in Ephesus as well. Of course, there are so many faces of the Divine Feminine and they meld and merge together over time. So following the moon can more or less consistently connect you to millennia of feminine tradition. Much work is done according to the waxing and waning of the moon, and its associations with emotions and waters make it appealing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment